Community Partners & Projects
Service Learning is an educational initiative in which students complete a project in the community that directly relates to the objectives of a course and meets the needs of the community-based organization. A variety of partners and projects have been able to enrich the educational experineces of our students.
Service-Learning Community Partners
Projects are created collaboratively with a community partner-any project is possible!
Some examples of HCC Service-Learning projects:
- An Earth Science course in which students test waters for nitrates and report/present their findings to the Connecticut River Valley Watershed Council
- An English and Human Services Learning Community where students learn about writing as a tool for healing and self-discovery, and then work with teen mothers studying poetry at the Care Center
- A Web Design course where students design new websites for community-based organizations in Holyoke
- An English and Sociology Learning Community on teen pregnancy in which students learn about poetry alongside teen mothers studying at the Care Center, and design an assessment tool for a teen pregnancy prevention program at the Holyoke Boys and Girls Club
- A Robotics course in which students instruct the youth at the Holyoke Boys and Girl's Club in the designing, building and programming of robots
- A Nutrition course in which students create an activity, a healthy recipe, and content for a lesson plan that teaches a nutritional concept to children at the Holyoke and Westfield Boys and Girls Clubs
- A Marketing course in which students break into teams--one team completes a much-needed marketing plan/strategy for developing a new retail store run by Providence Ministries, the other team creates a much-needed survey for the Holyoke YMCA
- A Nursing course in which students partner with the Holyoke Health Center's initiative that links literacy and health under Reach Out and Read
For more information on anything related to service learning, see Lisa Mahon, Don 357, 413.552.2369, firstname.lastname@example.org.