Successful Student Checklist

This student checklist will help you manage your time efficiently, and make sure you have everything necessary to begin the school year. Please feel free to contact us at if you have any questions. Have a successful year!

Download this checklist to save or print!   


Communication is Priority #1: Stay informed! Log in to all services at MyHCC
(find instructions here)

  • Email & Online Services HCC email is used for all communication. Online Services gives you access to e-billing and payment plans, financial aid status and financial aid consent to electronic communication, insurance waiver, registration, advisor, DegreeWorks, grades, and student records. Be sure to check it regularly!
  • Moodle is the learning management system for online learning which includes online classes, blended classes (½ online, ½ on-site), and web-enhanced classes (face-to-face courses with an online component). Watch a brief video about HCC's Online Programs.
  • RAVE Emergency Alert System Register at RAVE to receive texts, emails, and/or phone calls when there is an emergency on campus, delayed opening or closing due to snow, and more!
  • Having difficulty with logins? Computer crashing? Software hanging? Can't log in to the system? We're here to help with all your computer problems! Fill out a help desk form to submit a request online; give us a call at 413.552.2075, or email



  • College Placement Test: A computerized assessment of basic math, reading, and writing. Required. Testing takes approximately two hours in the Assessment Center (FR 271; 413.552.2055). 
  • Student ID card: Bring your printed schedule and license (or state issued picture ID) to get your HCC Student ID Card in the Assessment Center (FR 271; 413.552.2055). 
  • Immunization Records: All full-time students (regardless of age) are required by MA State Law (Chap. 76, Sect. 15C) to submit complete documentation of their immunization records within 30 days of registration. Please ask your health care provider for a copy of any immunization records in your file and submit to Health Services (FR 105) or fax to 413.552.2121.

Advising & Registration

  • Advising Center: Provides all aspects of academic advising to new, current, and returning students. Advisors will assist you with registration of classes, and educational planning. See an advisor on a walk-in basis or by appointment (FR 273; 413.552.2722; Online students can email advising questions to

Pay for College

  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): Submit electronically, correct your FAFSA, and check your status with HCC Federal School Code #002170.
  • Pay Your Bill: To make payments to your account, log in to My Online Services and access eRefund/eBill/Payments/Payment Plans; go to the Student Accounts Office (FR 201); or call 413.552.2101
  • College Store: To purchase or rent books you will need your class schedule and your HCC student ID card and form of payment: cash, check, charge, or Financial Aid Book advance. Purchase your books online. Location: Campus Center 1st floor, 413.552.2521. *General hours 8:30 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. 

*Hours are subject to change.  

Health Insurance

  • Waive Health Insurance: Health insurance fees may be waived directly with Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk if the student has comparable coverage through personal, parental, or spousal insurance (including qualified coverage through the Massachusetts Health Connector Benefit Plan or MassHealth, with the exception of certain MassHealth programs). Free health care (treatment provided at a local hospital or clinic) is not considered comparable coverage. If you have difficulty logging in to waive your health insurance, call Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk customer service at 617.328.2303.

HCC Photo ID

  • Student ID card: Students are expected to carry their ID when on campus. Cards are issued after placement testing (FR 271) or registration (FR 273). Students use ID cards to access computer labs, the library, the Bartley Center for Athletics and Recreation, to attend college-sponsored events, to use PVTA services, and for all college transactions. There is a replacement fee of $7, which can be made at Student Accounts (FR 201). Always carry your ID!
  • Library Card: Bring your HCC Student ID card to the library to receive a barcode, which will allow you access to library resources. (DON 202; 413.552.2372)


  • PVTA Bus Pass: You'll need your HCC Student ID card to receive your bus pass, and both cards (HCC ID and bus pass) are needed to use the PVTA service for free. Student Accounts Office: FR 201; 413.552.2101
  • PVTA Bus Schedules: PVTA is an independent contractor. For scheduling questions, please contact: PVTA 413.781.7882
  • Parking Registrations: All vehicles need to have an HCC parking sticker by the first week of classes, and students must be aware of the parking rules and regulations. We issue tickets and tow for violations. Take your HCC Student ID card and your vehicle registration to your New Student Orientation session or to Campus Police to receive a permanent parking sticker. (Public Safety Bldg. 214, across the street from Frost).  

Classrooms and Computer Availability

  • Classrooms: Locate your classrooms in advance. The campus map is available online and in the Student Handbook.
  • Computer Access: Computers are available for your use in the Advising Center (FR 273), Financial Aid and Student Accounts (FR 201), or Admissions (FR 221).


  • New Student Orientation & Program Day: Attend your scheduled mandatory New Student Orientation. You will learn about the supportive services available to you and academic expectations. 
  • Student Handbook: All students must become familiar with the College's policies and procedures in the Student Handbook. Familiarize yourself with policies, procedures, deadlines for financial aid, add/drop, withdrawals, refunds, and the student code of conduct.


  • Clubs & Organizations: Have fun, make connections, develop leadership skills, and pursue new interests. Clubs and organizations enhance and complement the learning taking place in the classroom. Join a student club or organization in Student Activities (DON 103; 413.552.2060).
  • Take advantage of on-campus resources like the Center for Academic Program Support (CAPS) (tutoring, math center, writing center, learning coaches), the library, the Office for Students with Disabilities and Deaf Services, Veteran Services, the Center for Career Development, and more Student Services.


  • Advising: Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your program of study and ask any questions that you may have regarding your course schedule, pace for completion of degree/certificate, and how you are doing with your grades. At your assigned orientation you will receive a card with your advisor's name. If you do not receive or have misplaced this card, you can access your advisor's name at MyHCC Online Services or contact Academic Affairs at 413.552.2070.
  • DegreeWorks is used for academic planning by students and advisors. It provides real-time information such as advisor, degree, major requirements, GPA, course completion and grades; streamlines the graduation process; and provides intuitive web access to self-service capabilities at MyHCC Online Services.
  • Transfer: Meet with a transfer counselor early on to create a plan to transfer so you will understand the requirements from the transfer institution such as courses, GPA, and MassTransfer options. Contact Mark Broadbent at 413.552.2498.


Holyoke Community College
303 Homestead Ave. Holyoke, MA 01040